Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bittersweet Symphony

by Anne

There is no more ambivalent time of year than the NHL playoffs. My first exposure to this phenomenon was the Sabres' unexpected run to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1999. I was 13, emotional, and ridiculous. In the intervening twelve years, a lot about me has changed, but my roller coaster emotions during the playoffs have not, and being a tried and true Buffalonian I'm definitely not alone.

For months, fans scream, cheer, rant, rave, complain, laud, and, in general, prognosticate their team's futures and playoff chances.

Then, the blissful day arrives when your team clinches their coveted spot in the top eight teams of their conference. Hooray! Hockey in Late April! Then hopefully May! Then, hope against hope, in June as well! The sun is shining! Food tastes better! There's a spring in your step and a song in your heart. It's going to be a glorious time for the fans, the players, and the city they represent. What could possibly go wrong?

Then, the playoffs actually begin... and so does the stress.

It's no big secret that everything is magnified during the playoffs. The goals are bigger, the wins are riotous, and the losses are soul-crushing.

Every year (ok, well, every year the Sabres make the playoffs) I go through this. I'm a somewhat emotional person. I tend to take the playoffs a BIT too personally.  There are many ways in which I have evolved since the age of 13, but my overt emotional involvement with the Buffalo Sabres in the playoffs will never change.

Are there terrible moments during the playoffs? Yes, absolutely. Are there glorious moments? Duh. Would I trade it for anything? Are you new to this blog? Fuck no!

I'M NOT SCARED.

LET'S GO BUFF-A-LO!!

1 comment:

  1. I can only hope that with your return to blogging and the NHL Playoffs and with the involvement of both the Buffalo Sabres and the Los Angeles Kings, our future as readers of Queen City Sabres will be Blingee-filled.
    Please?

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer, yo.

Almost all pictures are borrowed from other sources. If they're yours and you don't want me to use them, just shoot me an email and I'll take them down.

The Los Angeles Kings logo and Buffalo Sabres logo used in the title bar are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League; no copyright infringement is intended. If anyone is offended by anything I've written, get over it, it's a personal blog, not an accredited news source.

anniebeeswax [at] gmail [dot] com

Glossary... Sort of

  • "Ryan Miller Shutout" - A 58 minute, multi-goal shutout lead that is blown when Miller allows one meaningless goal
  • Britney or SabreBritney - Thomas Vanek
  • Butter Snaps - Carolina Hurricanes. Because Butter Snap pretzels, like the Carolina Hurricanes, are disgusting
  • Greener - MATT Greene (LAK)
  • JBG - Jolly Blonde Giant - Tyler Myers
  • Little Foot - Drew Stafford
  • MK - Anne's sister; often leaves nonsensical comments under her Twitter name Mmmkizzle
  • Oscar - Anne's cat

Because it's never not funny

Completely adorable