Friday, June 18, 2010

Up Next: The Draft

by Anne

It might just be that I haven't been paying attention but I feel like the 2010 draft class is somewhat lame. 

Will we ever again have another 2003 draft class? That first round was unbelievable. M-A Fleury, Eric Staal, Mike Richards, Thomas Vanek, Ryan Suter, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry. I think a lot of people have an association with the draft class that's your age; I know I do. The 2003 NHL entry draft was a few days before I graduated from high school so I have a certain extra affection for the class of 2003 and it was the most amazing draft class EVER.

Nevertheless, I usually pick a random dude that I want the Sabres to draft. They drafted Myers like I wanted them to. However, I really didn't think he'd be available for us, but as you all know, everyone but Tampa, LA, Toronto, and Atlanta was a MORON so we got him. Wooo!!

The three players I've seen the Sabres taking in mock drafts are:

Riley Sheehan, C
Tyler Toffoli, RW
Jared Tinordi, D

I keep calling Tyler Toffoli "Taylor," and his Facebook picture is him riding an ATV, so how can I choose him? Although he is wearing a helmet in the shot.

Jarred Tinordi is a giant, he's like 6'6", but we already have a giant defenseman. Although he is American, and I have a soft spot for American defensemen.

Riley Sheahan goes to Notre Dame and his name couldn't really be more Irish if it was Finnegan O'Toole. I'm Irish and have a soft sport for Irish people and his parents' names are Mike and Peggy.

I think that I shall pull for the Sabres to draft...ummmm...

Riley Sheahan. Why? Because our prospects at center are not too stellar, and he's 6'2", 200 lbs. We need more size in our center prospects coughNathanGerbecough.

Riley Sheahan or bust is my mantra until June 25th at the Draft party. 



In speaking of our prospects. 2008 prospects Zack "Mama Said Knock You Out" Kassian and Brayden McNabb have been selected to attend the World Junior prospect camp this year. It would be pretty sweet if they were able to play in Buffalo next season. Kassian might have a chance to play in the blue and gold, or at least in Portland if he can show the proper remorse for his assault arrest last month. 

Also, the US is currently losing to Slovenia in the World Cup 2-1. This is the first game I've watched and it's more exciting than I thought it would be. Honestly, I don't even notice the vuvuzelas. I think at this point it would sound weird if the stands were quiet and there was no vuvuzela noise. It's really just background at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer, yo.

Almost all pictures are borrowed from other sources. If they're yours and you don't want me to use them, just shoot me an email and I'll take them down.

The Los Angeles Kings logo and Buffalo Sabres logo used in the title bar are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League; no copyright infringement is intended. If anyone is offended by anything I've written, get over it, it's a personal blog, not an accredited news source.

anniebeeswax [at] gmail [dot] com

Glossary... Sort of

  • "Ryan Miller Shutout" - A 58 minute, multi-goal shutout lead that is blown when Miller allows one meaningless goal
  • Britney or SabreBritney - Thomas Vanek
  • Butter Snaps - Carolina Hurricanes. Because Butter Snap pretzels, like the Carolina Hurricanes, are disgusting
  • Greener - MATT Greene (LAK)
  • JBG - Jolly Blonde Giant - Tyler Myers
  • Little Foot - Drew Stafford
  • MK - Anne's sister; often leaves nonsensical comments under her Twitter name Mmmkizzle
  • Oscar - Anne's cat

Because it's never not funny

Completely adorable