Monday, April 26, 2010

So long, Kings

by Anne

Well, it's over. The Los Angeles Kings are now in the off-season. 

It was the first playoff appearance for the Kings since 2002 and the series didn't disappoint. Well, that is until that last game, anyway.

If this series did nothing else, it re-affirmed that while Jonathan Quick is a nice guy, and loves to play hockey, he may not be the answer for the Kings in net for the long term. I don't think any Kings fan thought otherwise. However, let's give the guy the credit he deserves. He played over 70 games and got this team to the playoffs. He was undoubtedly mentally and physically exhausted after the season he had and he couldn't get it done in the playoffs. Hopefully next season the other Jonathan (Bernier) will be up with the big club and ready to make a difference as well.

Now the Kings head into the off-season with their heads held high. There aren't a whole lot of burning questions to answer, not a lot of holes to plug up. The biggest question mark is the enigma that is Alexander Frolov. I'm pretty sure Fro will be departing for a new team. Hell, he didn't score in the playoffs until yesterday.  Other than Fro and O'D, there aren't any UFAs I really care about. I don't want Randy Jones back. Ivanans can peace out. I don't feel strongly about Modin or Halpern other than that Modin was a good locker room presence during the playoffs.  Without too many contracts to worry about they can just look to get even better. Scary. The rest of the Pacific and the NHL is on notice.

The best news is that the Kings are now finished paying Dan Cloutier. Really.

From my personal experience, this was only my second season as a Kings fan and it was awesome. I've never paid such close attention to another team during the regular season and it was great. I loved traveling to Nashville to see them play (and win). I can't wait until next season and I can't wait until I can get out to LA to see a game!

LET'S GO KINGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer, yo.

Almost all pictures are borrowed from other sources. If they're yours and you don't want me to use them, just shoot me an email and I'll take them down.

The Los Angeles Kings logo and Buffalo Sabres logo used in the title bar are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League; no copyright infringement is intended. If anyone is offended by anything I've written, get over it, it's a personal blog, not an accredited news source.

anniebeeswax [at] gmail [dot] com

Glossary... Sort of

  • "Ryan Miller Shutout" - A 58 minute, multi-goal shutout lead that is blown when Miller allows one meaningless goal
  • Britney or SabreBritney - Thomas Vanek
  • Butter Snaps - Carolina Hurricanes. Because Butter Snap pretzels, like the Carolina Hurricanes, are disgusting
  • Greener - MATT Greene (LAK)
  • JBG - Jolly Blonde Giant - Tyler Myers
  • Little Foot - Drew Stafford
  • MK - Anne's sister; often leaves nonsensical comments under her Twitter name Mmmkizzle
  • Oscar - Anne's cat

Because it's never not funny

Completely adorable