Monday, November 17, 2008

Trade?

by Anne

In case you haven't noticed, we have a lot of forwards on board.

Until Saturday's game, there had been at least 1 or 2 healthy scratches at forward for the last 5 or 6 games (Kaleta, Stafford, Paille, Peters, Ellis). Last night we had two injured players (Timmy and Kotalik) sitting it out (they didn't even make the trip) so there were no healthy scratches at forward.

This next thought is really not a reaction to the recent misadventures by the boys in blue and gold, its a direct reaction to the "Boucher to Pittsburgh, Sydor to Dallas" trade. While perusing the TSN article about the moves, I ventured down the rest of their headlines and found an article that discussed the problems in Ottawa. I started reading it because it said "Capital Change" or something and I thought it meant something to do with Washington... wrong capital... they meant Ottawa.

At the end of said article, the author pointed out key healthy scratches this week around the NHL, most notably ours: Staffy and Pie. And the wheels started turning: Sydor and Boucher were both healthy scratches as the trade details were worked out. I seriously doubt that that's why Paille and Staffy were scratched, but the connection got me thinking.

If Darcy was orchestrating a trade, which he doesn't do that many of, what would the trade be? In my opinion, if we traded, it'd be for a top line centerman. We have a lot of forwards, but we're not the strongest down the middle.

Timmy is always hurt, Yoyo is not a natural center, Grizz is doing pretty well, Goose and Mairsy are solid in their roles, but Royzie has been sucking out loud early this season and his face off numbers aren't up where they should be. I put a fair amount of stock in faceoff wins. Why? because the team with the puck is the team that's most likely to score, and the best way to get the puck and start a shift in your favor: winning face offs. We also could use another right handed center. Lindy likes to use lefties in the left face off circle and righties in the right. At the moment only 2 of the 6 players that have played center this season are right handed.

What we have plenty of is wingers. Look at the players who have sat: Stafford (RW) and Paille (LW). Both of those guys would be quite tempting to teams looking to add depth, size and youth to their second or third lines.

This is just an idea that's been tossing around my brain for a few hours and I'm just putting it out there to see how it sounds when not just in my head.

Personally, the idea of losing Danny Paille makes my heart sink into my stomach and I just don't want to think about that anymore, so if one of them does go, I'd much rather it was Staffy. Lindy has expressed his favorable opinion of Pie for his 2 way strengths and at least once called Staffy out for not listening to him, but I haven't heard much since then. Ha, if you had called me in like March of 2007 and been like "Hey Anne, in about a year and a half, you'll be much happier to get rid of Staffy in favor of keeping Dan Paille." I never would have believed you. OH HOW TIMES CHANGE.

That article on TSN was basically about Ottawa potentially shipping out one of their "top three", mainly focusing on Jason Spezza. Of the "top three" I hate Jason Spezza the least, but I'm not suggesting that that is anywhere near the realm of possibility. Its fairly rare to make trades within a division during the season. I don't see the Senators being interested in acquiring a winger, either. They need depth at goalie and a puck moving defenseman. We've just recently gotten a defensive corps that doesn't make me sick to my stomach, so I'm confident we will not be moving any of our D. Clearly we will not be shipping out Miller and I'd MUCH rather have Lalime rather than take one of their rotating goalies.

Again, I'm sure none of these things are going to happen any time soon or at all, its just interesting to think about the possibilities.

10 comments:

  1. I agree that if it came down to between Paille and Stafford, Stafford would be the one who got shipped out. He's one of my top favorites on this team too - but with the way he's been playing this year past his sophomore slump year, and how much we desperately do need a strong guy in the center to take faceoffs, I would much rather see this team win more often than keep guys who play a position that has so much depth. I always want to turn away when I look at the faceoff wins when the stats come up. Derek Roy has been letting us down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darcy would get beat in a dark alley if he traded Miller. He is too much of a favorite. I can't see him moving Pie because Lindy has been giving him high marks. But that could be a play it up for the scouts. I agree Staffy can be moved. I think we can keep LaLa for now... unless he doesn't improve... Lindy seems to be behind him so that's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Afinogenov, Kotalik, and Stafford hold the most stock for a trade. But, I don't see Darcy moving Drew, just because they like to give the guys some time to mull things over before sending a young guy packing. I think he may pull a move like he did with Campbell and ship Max or Al out before the deadline hits, because I'm not too sure if we'd re-sign them come summer. And I don't see him trading Roy, just because he's signed to a contract that looks to work in the Sabres' favor (assuming he ups his production), and that the organization views him as one of those "core guys." It'd be interesting to know what's going on in Darcy's head...

    But like you said... I'D BAWL MY EYES OUT IF WE LOST DANNY. For a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darcy has already said that he tried to move Max in the summer but had no takers. I don't like how he said that publically, because really, imagine what that does to the confidence of Max. I think Paille is safe, he's been showing great hustle and has also been scoring. Stafford would be the odd man out. They can try and send him down to Portland but honestly I don't think he'd clear waivers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that my school has still not blocked this website. The word "blog" is IN THE ADDRESS. I am not complaining. And I can't believe you're ok with the idea of Staffy possibly leaving. Oh the times, they are-a changin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always want to turn away when I look at the faceoff wins when the stats come up. Derek Roy has been letting us down.

    I always look at it after a loss and always regret it. Somehow we walked away with more wins at Columbus and I couldn't bear to even look at the game stats after Pittsburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I don't see him trading Roy, just because he's signed to a contract that looks to work in the Sabres' favor (assuming he ups his production), and that the organization views him as one of those "core guys.

    Right, that's why I didn't even mention it as a possibility. All of those core guys (Have I mentioned how tired of that phrase I am?) are safe, definitely which is why Pie and Staffy jumped out at me. For some reason I don't see both of them staying here longterm. They just resigned Pie and Staffy's up to be an RFA this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darcy has already said that he tried to move Max in the summer but had no takers.

    Yeah, I remember that which is why it seems Staffy or Pie would be waaayyyy more tempting to other teams. And, definitely, there's no way Staffy would clear waivers, so if they want to ship him, better to get something in return. I see a package with Staffy and a pick or two or even one of the current Pirates in a package for a top center.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that my school has still not blocked this website. The word "blog" is IN THE ADDRESS. I am not complaining. And I can't believe you're ok with the idea of Staffy possibly leaving. Oh the times, they are-a changin'.

    your school is a bunch of morons. and YO I KNOW. He's really not done anything to earn back some of my love from days of yore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we can keep LaLa for now... unless he doesn't improve... Lindy seems to be behind him so that's a good sign.

    I have high hopes that the other night was just a fluke and the rest of the team can learn to play well and trust their backup. He WAS an all star a few years back.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer, yo.

Almost all pictures are borrowed from other sources. If they're yours and you don't want me to use them, just shoot me an email and I'll take them down.

The Los Angeles Kings logo and Buffalo Sabres logo used in the title bar are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League; no copyright infringement is intended. If anyone is offended by anything I've written, get over it, it's a personal blog, not an accredited news source.

anniebeeswax [at] gmail [dot] com

Glossary... Sort of

  • "Ryan Miller Shutout" - A 58 minute, multi-goal shutout lead that is blown when Miller allows one meaningless goal
  • Britney or SabreBritney - Thomas Vanek
  • Butter Snaps - Carolina Hurricanes. Because Butter Snap pretzels, like the Carolina Hurricanes, are disgusting
  • Greener - MATT Greene (LAK)
  • JBG - Jolly Blonde Giant - Tyler Myers
  • Little Foot - Drew Stafford
  • MK - Anne's sister; often leaves nonsensical comments under her Twitter name Mmmkizzle
  • Oscar - Anne's cat

Because it's never not funny

Completely adorable